Home School - Yes?

Home Schooling – Day 6 Blogging Challenge

I’m so glad thaWork from Home - Home Schoolt Caroline made a suggestion to post about something interesting that has happened to you, or an interesting idea. I’ve been thinking about home schooling for a while now, but haven’t yet made the decision to take the leap. However, in my quest for understanding all there is to know about the concept I came upon plenty of interesting content about home schooling.

There are a host of resources about home schooling that you can find in your local arena, and also online.

The Pros

Home schooling is not for everyone, and it is quite a niche idea.  I have found that home schooling is a decision taken by people who have ideals which they do not want watered down by a government school.  It is also supported by families that travel more frequently and are not settled in a permanent situation.

The Pros of home schooling as I see it are:Home school - work from home

1. As a parent you can control the content your child is exposed to.
  2. You are not bound by the hours of a traditional school environment.
  3. Your children can progress at a rate that suits them, rather than being held back by other students.
  4. You do not need to be a teacher to home school.
  5. You are free to engage your children in extra-curricular activities that suit them, rather than the majority.
  6. Often the government will give a small rebate to parents who homeschool in lieu of the costs saved by the government for schooling your children.

The Cons

The concept of home schooling started in the 1970’s and you can read about it in this article.  There is a very interesting background to this.  It’s been a rocky road to say the least.

The Cons of home schooling as I see it are:

1. There is reduced income in the home if both parents were previously working.
  2. Space issues in the home.home school or not?
  3. There is a cost involved for the resources.
  4. You may be concerned about a lack of socialization or sports, although there are also lots of opportunities for this in resources through support groups.
  5. Feeling overwhelmed as a parent, and not getting your own socialization.

Home schooling is definitely a choice you will need to make for yourself.  No-one can tell you whether you should take the leap or not.  Before making a decision, one should thoroughly research all aspects of home schooling in your own area of the world.  Even talk to other parents who have taken the step to home school.

Here are some links to resources/articles you might find interesting if this is something you have been considering.

I have been considering the home schooling option very seriously.  Writing this article has been so helpful to me personally due to the research required for it. I’ve been talking to other people who home school their kids.  It is possible to do it.  One lovely lady runs a home business baking beautiful cakes, while home schooling her daughter and three sons!  She’s a total inspiration to me.  I’ll be doing an interview with her to insert with this post at some point, if she will let me.  🙂

Having youHome School - Yes?r own business to run, while home schooling would be an incredible challenge and one would have to be really organised to do it.  I’ve been praying about it too, and will wait on confirmation that it is the right thing for me to do, especially being a single mom.  Watch this space, as you may find that in a few months I will have taken the step!  🙂

What are your thoughts on home schooling?  I would love to hear them!

Till next time! Claire

8 Comments

• Eddy October 11, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for writing about homeschooling. I liked that you laid out the pros and cons. I think one con that really concerns me is the socialization aspect. Being in school forces you to exercise certain socialization muscles. So I think your child may miss that. Sure there are ways to get around it but I don’t know if they’re enough. It would be interesting to see studies on that. Either way I appreciate the article.

• claire winter October 11, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hi Eddy, thanks for your remarks. Yes, the socialization is something most parents are concerned about with home schooling, but one must consider what socialization is actually happening in the schoolyard. This article might help with some perspective about that-Socialization of Home Schooled Kids and this one too What about Socialization? You will find them both pretty interesting reading and will give you a completely new perspective on socialization I am sure. Both articles come from a Christian perspective, but give food for thought in any scenario.

• Robert October 11, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Hi and thank you for the article. This is something that is important to me because I have a daughter at just about school age and I have considered home schooling versus traditional schooling at length. One thing is that, although I work from home, I would probably need to use an online program such as have become popular in recent years. Do you have any thoughts on traditional home schooling versus using an online K-12 school as far as which is better?

• claire winter October 11, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hi Robert, thank you for your response to my article. My preference for home schooling would be the ACE programme. You can find more information on it here – https://www.aceministries.com/homeschool/. I like this option because it is Christian based, but most importantly, you don’t have to be a teacher to use the programme. Kids self-teach and you manage the process. They have amazing support, and it’s also affordable. They also make sure that you log your child’s progress and complete assessments so that your child is in keeping with legislative requirements for school completion. I don’t know too much about the K-12 options, but looked it up and it looks to be a good option as well. My suggestion is to research those options thoroughly to find what will work best for you. If you can work from home and also spend time taking your daughter out with support programmes you would have a win-win combination for offering the best for your precious daughter. All the best!

• ches October 11, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I was forced into doing home schooling when my youngest girl was in a mixed gender private school. The school had just changed from just boys to include girls.
    This school had a good reputation for the sciences and mathematics which I was keen for her to be confident in.
    She came home one day crying. On asking what was wrong she said she was having trouble with fractions and asked her teacher to explain it to her again. The male teacher evidently told her that girls were not worth teaching!
    I went straight down the school and asked for rebate as I was taking my child away from this bigotry.
    I got my rebate after threatening to take the story to the papers.
    I was then forced to school her myself until we could find her another more suitable school.
    The first thing I did was buy a cake. I cut it into 8 pieces and explained about fractions as we ate the cake!
    I would seriously consider home schooling if I had my time again. I think it is the best way (as long as you’re confident with your teaching), to get the best out of your child without the stresses and peer pressures that pupils now have to endure. Taking kids to other countries and cultures can only be beneficial, if you can afford to do it. There’s so much going for it in my mind. Great post. Ches

• claire winter October 11, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Ches, that is an amazing thing to do for your daughter! I think that often parents consider Home Schooling for the bullying that goes on in “normal” school, perpetrated by kids and teachers alike. I doing what I can to work from home so that I can at least have that option! Good on you, and thanks for your comment.

• Marlaine October 20, 2016 at 2:12 am

To homeschool, or not to homeschool… that is the question. Private schools where we live are very expensive, but public schools quite “scary”… and I’m a teacher by training, so I COULD homeschool, I suppose. But like you, I’m interested but just not so sure it’s what’s best for me and my family.

I really like the idea of being able to travel with our family during the school years though, teaching them on the go. And, there are some wonderful programs you can get your children into if they aren’t in regular day school.

Interesting article! Thanks!

• claire winter October 20, 2016 at 8:47 am

Thanks for stopping by Marlaine! I have in fact broached the subject with my 6 year old since popping up this post. We decided that we are going to visit a family who home schools so she can talk to the kids and interview them. :-). Thought it would be good to get her thoughts on the topic too, before I make a decision.

All the best and warm regards,

Claire